- What stands for PHP? – Personal Home Page.
- PHP which is now officially known as ‘Hypertext Preprocessor’ and It was released around the year 1995.
- PHP was originally made by Rasmus Lerdorf in 1995. He wrote the original Common Gateway Interface (CGI) binaries.
- Initially written as a set of Common Gateway Interface (CGI) in ‘C’ (1994).
- This language was originally designed to replace a set of Perl scripts to maintain his Personal Home Pages (also known as PHP).
- Zeev Suraski and Andi Gutmans, two developers at the Technion IIT, rewrote the parser in 1997 and formed the base of PHP 3.
- PHP 3 was officially launched in June 1998.
- Suraski and Gutmans rewrote the PHP 3’s core, producing the Zend Engine in 1999. They also founded Zend Technologies in Ramat Gan, Israel.
- On May 22, 2000, PHP 4, powered by the Zend Engine 1.0, was released.
For tutorials on PHP just visit http://www.guru99.com/php-
The main implementation of PHP is now produced by The PHP Group and serves as the de facto standard for PHP as there is no formal specification.
On July 13, 2004, PHP 5 was released, powered by the new Zend Engine II. PHP 5 introduced full-featured object-oriented programming support. It was there in PHP 3 and PHP 4 but only the basic features.